It is my main light, and tough it is a bit subdued, it is more than enough to light the room properly. I’m quite happy with the result !
First of all, you need to fold some paper, big sheets, there are some tuto on the web, it is pretty easy.
I used 65*50cm x 4 sheets.
The tip is to used a needle to pre fold the sheets, make the work really easy and more precise.
Then I used a punch hole.
4 sheets all done
A bit of scotch tape to put sheets toghether
Then a ribbon/string to tie final structur
And there it is
Test with light, looks great !
Then it was time for the lamp base.
I found an old piece of wood, and cut it round.
Line for notches
All in all I didn’t do a terrific job regarding precision, but I though I wasn’t doing a rocket or anything, so it would work, and it did
Feets, before and after cutting/sending, made from old battens
I love sanding !
Notches for the feet angle
I played a bit with tangent, to calculate right angle.
Base lamp done !
Lampshade frame done
I look in shops and online to buy a frame, and I couldn’t figure why it was so expensive.. I was having non of it, and make my own. I used MDF pannel to cut my circle (I mesured my paper ball inside diameter).
And a 2m wooden rod, cut in 3.
It holds toghether with 3 nails
I put the lampholder in place, with a long threaded shaft, so the light buble will be in the middle of the ball.
Lampshade frame in place.
I built a small wooden round that holds on the threaded shaft with 2 nut, that allowed to ajust height of the frame.
And final result.
It was tricky to put the paper ball in place, I had to remove bottom string that tighten the ball to let it pass the lampshade frame, then put a new string on and tighten it when it was in place. Then I opened a bit the top, to make it look like a flower.