Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views :
Home / DIY Ideas / I made a sofa/daybed to procrastinate in!

I made a sofa/daybed to procrastinate in!

/
/

Finished build pictures first.. Yes it’s a futon thing, but please don’t tell anyone. Materials used for everything expect for the slats was 45x95mm wood (reglar in danish). The big parts such as front, legs, backrest was sawed in angle/cut in length with a miter saw and in the end sanded with a rotary sander. Hand chisels were used to make all the joints. Dowels and furniture screws were used for assembly as well.With one side down. The matress is 2 meters long, the frame a little longer. Edit: To those wondering how the arms move I made another album with a paper model of it..: http://imgur.com/gallery/z8QTF

Finished frame with oil just applied. Linseed Oil was used. All made from cheap materials which fits my budget as a student 🙂 Here You can see how the ends/side rests are supported when down.

Here is two end pieces (arms), which was cut to length and angle on a miter saw, these holes were then made in a drill press. The miter saw was used for basically all cuts in the project.

This oval hole/slot in the right piece was made with a hand chisel after more holes were made in the drill press. The end of the sofa can both be up and down, this oval slot is for this function. A 12mm steel rod is fixed into the sofa frame and these end pieces/arms can be slided the length of the oval holes and then rotated.

This is just the four end pieces (arms), before the slots/slides were made. The ends that You see here was made with a handsaw where the four pieces was placed on a flat surface parallel to each other and clamped together with normal clamps.

Here is an assembled end. Dowels, glue and furniture screws were used to make it stay together, as with everything else (except the backrest which was just glued). To the right You can see the backrest – You can get the idea of the joints made for assembly with the two back legs. The items had just been sanded here.

An early test assembly to test the stability and to make some measurements.. The ends need to be put in before the front and back side are put together. Here the backrest is loosely put on top of the back legs. Joints needs to be made. All cuts seen in this picture is made on the miter saw.

Start of main frame assembly. You can see the upper steel rod that supports the ends, and this enables them to slide. With the ends down, the beam across is used for support. Now the back legs are ready to have the backrest put together with them. These mid beams were planed down on a regular planer. In ends of these, holes for dowels and furniture screws were made in the drill press. The same applies for the wood used in the arms/side rests.

The front legs shows how the front is assembled. At the top you can see what type of joint is used 🙂 Also at the top of the front leg, you can see holes for dowels and furniture screws.

Here You can see how the movable ends works. A support for the back steel rods was added. Also a list for the slats. This list was screwed onto the main frame.

Another test assembly to show more from another angle. Here the joints for the front/front legs can be seen more clearly. For the back assembly at the top (not where the backrest is) furniture screws were made from threaded rod.

Done. It is 225cm long, but the length is pretty perfect with the ends/arms up (which they are most of the time). Backrest assembly/joints can be seen here.

Here the arm section can be seen up from the side. To put the arms down, simply pull in the direction of the arm, rotate it to ground level and put it forward. This sofa was my first woodworking project besides som floor speakers i made. Looking forward to the next project 🙂

Original Author & Article

Leave a Reply