The finished product firstAnother finished productI poured the concrete in two sections because I have a small mixer. This took about 80lb bags sakrete premixed.This is the first section of concrete. I used a small piece of schedule 80 pvc pipe for the sleeve for the cane bolt. I put expansion joints along the sides where it meets the walls.Here you can see the pvc pipe and the expansion joints I was talking about.Mixing concrete. This cheap mixer from Harbor Freight has been a work horse for several years and is still kicking.Here is the first section of concrete formed up and graded. There are also expansion joints against the existing walls . I used a hand tamp to pack the dirt down after leveling.Here is the hand tamp after compacting the soilI used some gloss can spray paint for the finished section of gate. I later put cedar slats in between after staining them with thompsons stain.Welding up the gate with a Hobart 140 mig welder.I cleaned up a few of the uglier welds with an angle grinder.Here is the steel I picked up for the gate. I used 1.5″, 3/4″, and .5″ square steel tubing for the gate.Finished block wallsBlock walls using 8x6x16 cinder blocks on concrete footings with rebar reinforcement.I hand mixed some mortar for the joints and used a level and mallet to true the blocks up as I layed them.pouring the footings into the forms with rebar for support.forming up the footings.Here is the drawing I threw together in ms paint to submit for approval from the association.
The original author of this article is reddit user, Eatplantsbefit.