Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views :
Home / DIY Ideas / Couch Desk

Couch Desk

/
/

So here is my initial problem. The inspiration for the Couch Desk. I don’t own a standard television set but I have an HD projector I use in my living room that I have wired into my PC upstairs. I knew what keyboard and mouse I wanted to use for control here, but I did not have anything worth wile to use them on while sitting on the couch.

Building Process:

Starting with making the side legs for the whole thing. Got some old oak repurposed from some shelving. I re-sawed the pieces on my band saw hence the inside of the screw holes you see on the white oak. I am pretty sure I will be able to hide those.

All cut up to length.

Matched up the pairs for the all the legs and cut some box joints.

Box joints came out really well with no play at all. These will be the right and left support for the whole desk.

Next I added some rises which will hold the desk top itself. Also added some oak pieces with 2” circle cut outs. I made those with a forstner bit an underpowered drill press and a lot of patience.

I wanted to make the top out of this reclaimed oak top. But it had a door skin glued to it that was rather ugly. I tried to peel it off before deciding that it was not really worth salvaging. Oh well on to plan B.

Here is plan B. I glued up some red wood to make a large panel.

Bored some holes in it to hold the legs and cut out a crescent where the user will go.

Matched up the desk top holes to the support legs.

Here I am fitting the top to the legs. A snug fit.

Once seated correctly on the legs used a flush trim saw to cut flush the dowels. The number of dowels was more for ascetics then necessary. The top is very firmly held in place with the number of dowels used.

Here it is after some sanding.

Gluing on a back stop, this way the keyboard and mouse will have a difficult time falling off the far edge. Wanted to make something that captured the slack in the keyboard and mouse lines. This is what I came up with.

Plenty of friction on that dowel to hold its position.

Time to get some kind of finish on it.

Danish oil applied.

I spec’ed out the dimensions of this mouse pad and build the couch desk to be a perfect fit for it. I think it turned out well.

Note: This article wasn’t written by me, I got it from reddit, edited a little bit and posted here.

Original Post & Author.

Leave a Reply