Finished product first! After 3 months of work we just finished remodeling the basement and needed a coffee table. Every table we liked was $500+ so I decided to make one. This was my first endeavor into word working. I learned a lot and can’t wait to work on my next project!Another glamour shot…I picked up this white oak from our local lumber supply store. I was a 10ft board that they cut in half and cleaned up one edge so that I could glue the two pieces together. (i did not like that ryobi sander. it vibrated violently and the battery died in <20 minutes. returned it for a corded dewalt. much better)so. much. sanding. Started with 60grit and worked my way up to 220.My ghetto gluing rig. I have no wood clamps, so I used some towing straps. I used Titebond III for glue and let it dry for 24 hours. Filled in some small cracks with a little sawdust/glue mix.Sanding the joint flush. I was really happy with how well the pieces glued together.Quick brew break to enjoy my work after sanding for hours.I purchased these hairpin legs off of Amazon for about $50. They felt super sturdy and the welding/finish paint on them looked great.Hate my life…I attempted attaching the legs with these stainless lag bolts. The first bolt snapped on me even after drilling pilot holes. This wood was incredibly hard and the poor bolts couldn’t handle the torque.I ended up going with SPAX bolts. They can handle a higher torque and they ended up working great. The only issue is that I could only find 2″ bolts, which was too deep for the table. I ended up adding a bolt nut to make them shorter.Leg attached with SPAX bolts.After a long debate, my wife and I thought that the original wood color was too light for our room and decided to stain it darker. Some may find this blasphemous…We picked out a few stain colors to test on the bottom of the table. I prepped the wood with some stain conditioner first.These were the four colors we picked out. We ended up deciding on the color second from the right. (Minwax Espresso Oil Stain)Here it is after 2 coats of stain. It was a little lighter than I planned but it still looked great. I love how much the grain darkened.Stain close up.I decided on using a water-based gloss polyurathane. Considering my stain was oil based, I wiped the whole table down with mineral spirits to ensure there was no oily residue sitting on the table. I used a nlyon brush and applied 3 coats over 3 days with light sanding in between each coat.Here it is after the 3 coats of poly were applied. I did this in the basement because the garage was too cold. I wore a respirator and ventilated the room with a fan and cracked window.Close up shot of the poly goodness.Another shot in the living room. We still need to decorate the walls so it looks a little barren right now.
The real author of this article is reddit user, mr_scripters.