Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views : Ad Clicks : Ad Views :
Home / DIY Ideas / Bottle Cap Project.

Bottle Cap Project.


The Finished product

The Finished product

Custom designed gradient bottle cap bar top.

Beginning to sort

Beginning to sort

Friends and family saved their caps for 5+ years specifically for this project. These are beer caps from domestics, craft & import.Free labor :)

Free labor 🙂

Getting the kiddos involved sorting the caps.Caps sorted by HUE

Caps sorted by HUE

Basically tried to bucket them into ROYGBIV. I have no idea how many, but this took a bit of time.Custom bar top

Custom bar top

Here is the bar top after assembly. Two large pieces of quality 5/8″ plywood form the base. The rails are 1 1/2″ poplar, and were notched with a table saw and hand routed. The whole assembly was glued and nailed.Freshly painted bar top

Freshly painted bar top

Painted matte black with several cans of Rustoleum. The finish does not have to be perfect since it will be covered in epoxy.Freshly installed bar top

Freshly installed bar top

This was taken immediately after the bar was put in it’s final position. It needs to be as close to perfectly level as possible, otherwise the epoxy resin will “pool” in low spots.The first of several iterations

The first of several iterations

Let the games begin! The initial concept was to lay out an image comprised of bottle caps, then reality set in and we opted for the much easier gradient effect.

To be fair, this took several attempts because of numerous factors: visually, it wasn’t as cool as I wanted it to be. Also, we had a lot of black caps, but few bright blue (for example), so laying them down “evenly” was challenging.

Unfortunately, once the caps are down, attempting to move them results in disaster due to the caps shifting/overlapping each other. So, the process would begin all over again if it wasn’t right. At one point we attempted adhering them to the bar top with spray adhesive, but that ended up looking terrible not to mention messy.

It took a few restarts before we were satisfied with the distribution and overall visual.Finally starting to make some progress

Finally starting to make some progress

As mentioned before, we did not have an equal number of caps sorted by color. Since we had far more black, we needed a way to utilize them without the overall look becoming unbalanced.
It took at least 4 hours and several restarts to get to this point.Variety is the spice of life

Variety is the spice of life

For the more interesting caps containing messages, we interleaved them randomly throughout.Epoxy + activator

Epoxy + activator

This is what $500 of epoxy resin looks like; it was purchased from

Since epoxy is fluid, it takes the path of least resistance, which we later found out. Ensuring drop cloths/cardboard and cleanup towels are in place if you attempt this!Filling in the gaps

Filling in the gaps

This is the first of many layers of resin, which naturally fills any available airspace. It was better to just pour the resin slowly making thin layers, not thick enough to cover the caps. After it dried, the caps were dried/set in place. If poured too thick, the caps begin to float above the epoxy.Topping it off

Topping it off

It took ~5 layers to thoroughly cover the caps. The last layer we allowed it to flow over the sides to cover the rails, which made a helluva mess. 🙂 Again, drop cloths are your friend.Getting the bubbles out

Getting the bubbles out

The heat gun is used to pull the bubbles out. There may be a better way, but seems to be the most common found on the web.Top down

Top down

Here you can see how we laid them out allowing the caps to “flow” into each other, rather than having hard color stops.From the corner, left

From the corner, left

You may have noticed from a previous picture that this section was nearly completely filled with black caps. Visually, we felt it would be more interesting dispersing various caps to add pops of color.From the corner, right

From the corner, right

Another view of the corner. Checkout that green fathead cap; it sticks out like a sore thumb.Another view of the finished product

Another view of the finished product

Obviously this is not an exact science. Initially I was being pretty anal about cap alignment, color disbursement etc. In the end, we decided to introduce entropy and New Holland’s Dragon’s Milk, which I feel was the secret ingredient. 🙂

I am so proud of this project. It is a real conversation piece and we did it together true DIY

Source | Author

Leave a Reply